Mazen Al Ashkar
A multidisciplinary artist whose work takes shape through various mediums, working with multimedia installations, sound, video and text. Water has been a recurring element in his work, following its routes through material and social structures. Participated in group and solo exhibitions in several spaces in Damascus, Sharjah, Dubai, Amsterdam, Brussels, Amman, The Hague and Utrecht. Currently based in Amsterdam, graduated from the Faculty of Fine Arts, Damascus University in 2013 and received an MFA in Artistic Research from the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague in 2021.
Looking at the rhizome of relations in the intersection between the categories of human and non-human, and starting from an interest in the multiplicity of modes of understanding the world; questions that undercurrent the process of Mazen’s work can sound like: How would different perceptions of the attributes of the material in the world, form ways of valuing its beings? Would different modes of interacting with it change imagining the relation between one another? If technology was a revelation of human interaction in/with the world, could an amulet be hiding any clues to an alternative essence of technology? How softly are we touched by the hand of efficiency? How many seas do we need to dissolve a quantified world? And how precious did the world become after realizing our real distinction from it?
– “Graduation Show 2021”, Royal Academy of Art, The Hague, Netherlands.
– “Sun Kissed // Fog Off”, Master Artistic Research at Quartair, The Hague, Netherlands.
– “Actuele Kunst In De Oude Bieb”, Utrecht Down Under, Utrecht, Netherlands.
– “See-Saw”, Just Shout #4, atelierroute Utrecht at 'de Kersenboomgaard' community,
studio number 12, Utrecht, Netherlands.
– “See-Saw”, Just Shout #3, Galerie 21, Vorwerkstift, Hamburg, Germany.
– “The Ongoing Conversation”, Master Artistic Research at 1646, The Hague, Netherlands.
– A Simple Fizz - Exhibition of MAR/KABK at Quartair, The Hague, Netherlands.
– "Ma'rad", Group exhibition, at 3&55 Gallery, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
– “Qala 0.8900”, Samt, Darat Al Funun, Group exhibition, Amman, Jordan.
– “The Breadth of 104.5°”, Solo Presentation, Kaaistudio’s and Moussem Nomadic Arts Center, Moussem Cities: Damascus, Brussels, Belgium.
– "Window", Galerie De Vijf Ramen, Group exhibition , Arnhem, Netherlands.
– “Mission Nose Out”, Beautiful Distress, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
– “Give Us The Museum”, Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
– “Sawt (2a): Qala 0.8900”, Samt, Grey Noise, Al Serkal Avenue, Dubai, UAE.
– Samt “On Being Vertical Against Your Horizon”, www.samt.co.
– Sharjah Art Foundation, “Vantage Point Sharjah 4” Sharjah, UAE.
– “The Youth Forum at Damascus Historical Castle", The Ministry of Culture and Arts, Damascus, Syria.
– “Graduation 2012”, The Faculty of Fine Arts, Swaida, Syria.
– AMARRE, residencies for artists in exile, Moussem Nomadic Arts Center, Brussels, Belgium, June 2018.
– Artist in residence, KunstFaam, Schiermonnikoog, Netherlands, March 2017.
– Graphic designer, Dancing on the Edge, Amsterdam, 2019-present.
– Graphic design and communication volunteer, Nieuw Dakota, Amsterdam, 2018-2019.
– Graphic design intern, Dietwee merk ontwerp communicatie, Utrecht, 2017-2018.
– Graphic designer, Franklin Covey Middle East, Dubai, 2015-2016.
– Graphic designer, Al Sham Advertising, Dubai, 2013-2014.